Friday, April 28, 2006

Great Day At The Office

Rare are the days when I feel really accomplished after a day's work, but yesterday was one such occasion.

It was Nomination Day.

Wrote page leads for both Prime and Sports even though I was not in the team covering the GE (which is practically all the crack reporters in the newsroom).

It was totally unexpected - given that only the who's who of the newspaper wrote articles for Prime yesterday.

The story came from a last-minute media briefing. And I was given little information, and late notice.

But the best thing was - I managed to finish all my work before 6.30pm.
That meant an evening of soccer at the roof-top court.

Was misfiring for the entire game, but I saved my best for last.
Scored the final goal of the hour-long session.
It was a moment to savour - a sweetly-struck half volley with my left foot after my right-footed goal-bound effort had been saved.

But it was that Prime byline on Nom Day which was the real goal.

Rarely does a reserve, who is given a last-minute chance to play in the first team, end up scoring a goal!

I was that newsroom reserve yesterday.
And boy, it felt good.