Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Sick

Am having serious thoughts of switching jobs or desks after two terrible days where I get treated like dirt in the newsroom.... but the thought of paying $200,000 or more to break my bond just means I have to take all the shit and somehow enjoy it.

Having been at Sports desk for 6 months has convinced me that journalism is not my cup of tea. Sure- I can be good at it, but I'll never among the top.

Quite simply, success in this field doesn't appeal to me. If someone tells me I'll be the chief editor tm... my first response will be "so what?"

Having to think of stories everyday, meeting new people and talking to them, dealing with Singaporean newsmakers who are afraid to speak their mind, and the unnecessary stress of having your every word perused by a society with bosses that are obsessed with perfection, is not something that I've spent 3 yrs at the LSE for. The hrs are long, pay pathetic.

And meeting uni frens who earn twice or three times your current salary in jobs that interest you more, that suit your education, does little to help...

The 'pep talk' the other day with my boss did little to inspire me... u can't expect me to befriend all these sports ppl over nite right? I'm still a rookie reporter who, incidentally, hasn't been sent to the company's Basic Reporting Course... *sigh* and u talk to me about writing page 1 stories, winning awards etc.

What I do best: turning $1 into $2, not writing about sports...