Friday, July 20, 2007

Dreams

What drives you?
That was a question I kept asking this director of a sports business today.
He gave up a cushy, well-paying import-export business to start an indoor football facility.
And I wanted to know what his vision was.

He said he wanted to do something fun, something out of the ordinary - social entrepreneurship.

That immediately struck a chord in me.
That got me thinking about my life's mission, dreams and aspirations.
That made me realise - do I want to pursue the Singapore dream of a HDB flat, small jap car, wife and 2 kids?

Many times, I yearn for the simple, carefree life.
I wonder why God would bless me with brains, leadership skills, a great education and a job which allows me to influence the country via writing.

Why can't He just let me grow up in a rural village in China, where I can just lead an uncomplicated life, do some stress-free job, get married to some simple village girl, have 2-3 kids, and grow old in peace.

Or in a rich, royal household, in which I don't have to worry about material things and marital affairs. And I can just party my days away in bliss.

Then these words crop up - Destiny. History-maker. Earth shaker.

To make a difference in my generation for Christ.
To change the course of history positively.
To be a pillar of hope, a ray of light in a dark world.

But sometimes, the burden of that calling is too much to bear, the walk a solitary one.
But then I realise this - He is with me.

And that drives me on.