Sunday, November 27, 2005

Manila Mail

These words from my former editor at the start of this year still haunt me.

"Whatever you do, don't get married in December. We're sending you to the SEA Games.''

Many months later, I've finally set foot in Manila for the Games.
Traffic's bad, service slower, air terrible and media facilities not ideal.

But I'm not complaining. Why?
Because almost all of them speak good English.

Language's more important to me than smooth traffic, excellent service or clean air. As a journalist, being able to communicate is paramount.

Been sleep deprived here thus far with all the early morning starts (too used to the 11am start I get back home).
But life's good - hopefully this is not the calm before the storm.

It'll be a mad rush from tomorrow till Dec 5.
My prayer is that I'll be at the right place at the right time.

Mabuhay: Let the Games begin.