Thursday, January 12, 2006

Gratitude

The brevity of life hits hard when you discover one friend's met with a bad car accident, and another was threatened at knife point - all in a week.

Though I'm not close to both, the shock's still felt, the trauma so real.
It's worse when all you can do is pray because you are not close enough to do anything to help.

The first happened in Singapore along the ECP on her way to work - a car skid.
The second took place in London while she was grocery shopping in a supermarket car park, 2-3 miles from my final year home.

By God's grace, there were no fatalities in both instances.

I will not go into specifics, but these two incidents jolted me from the routine of waking up, dragging myself to work, overcoming the stress there, and coming back late at night only to repeat the same cycle the next day.

Surely, there's more to life than this?

I'm reminded of the two times the Lord delivered me from the hands of crime - the first when a Brit hooligan tried to exort money from me in a phone booth along Oxford St in broad daylight, and the second when I got my wallet back from a pickpocket gang in Barcelona.

It also heightened my senses toward the things I have taken for granted - good health, a decent job, ample finances, and a loving family.

For all these, and even the bad that I encounter in my life, I'm able to say - thank You.