Monday, October 16, 2006

The kelong Kelong

It was a fun-filled weekend fishing trip in Tanjong Pinang - except for one thing.

I caught no fish.

Wish I could blame it on the haze, the rod, or the oversized hook.
But I guess it just boils down to one thing - my lack of patience.

It didn't help that our neighbours - this family of 10-odd were catching fish left, right and centre.

Even their seven and nine year-old girl and boy were fishing them up like nobody's business.
It was as if the fish in the kelong could recognise their VIP rods, and chose to bite on their bait, while leaving mine to the parasite nibblers.

Now, I truly understand Luke 5:5.
That's when Peter the professional fisherman tells Jesus: "Master, we've worked hard all night, and haven't caught anything."

Thankfully, the good company, sumptuous spread, and cable tv more than made up for the lack of fish.
And there was that kick-ass, hour-long Javanese foot and shoulder massage, for the princely sum of S$9 before I boarded the ferry home.